Luka Modric looked back to his best last night as Real Madrid defeated Borussia Monchengladbach 2-0 to reach the Champions League knockout stages.
Zinedine Zidane's side were in danger of dropping down to the Europa League and needed a win.
Karim Benzema netted twice to see Madrid reach the last 16 and top Group B, but the real architect was Modric in midfield.
At 35-years-old, the 2018 Ballon d'Or winner pulled the strings and no Gladbach player could lay a hand on him.
Luka modric being his usual king self yet again :heart:pic.twitter.com/Gjr2eBKf8l
- ˡᵒ:milky_way: (@lol_rm99) December 9, 2020
The Croatian international has featured in every 'Los Blancos' game this season and remains an important part of the team.
Fans reacted to his performance and they think it was a perfect showcase of Modric's ability.
What Luka Modric is doing at the age of 35 is not normal. He's one of the best midfielders of all time. Just best to accept it.
- Xav Salazar (@XavsFutbol) December 9, 2020
Modric is better than all of our midfielders at 35. dead serious
- Rohan (@Rohandinho_) December 9, 2020
how does Modric have this much energy
- Kiyan Sobhani (@KiyanSo) December 9, 2020
There is no scientific explanation for Luka Modrić to still be this good at 35 years old. Most players his age are winding down their careers in Asia or the U.S.; Modrić is still running the show under the Champions League floodlights.
- Zach Lowy (@ZachLowy) December 9, 2020
Luka Modric's game by numbers vs. Gladbach:
100% take-ons completed
94% pass accuracy
54 passes in opp.half
11 final third entries
6 duels won
4 take-ons completed
2 fouls won
Bossing it at 35-years old. pic.twitter.com/0UADzkqQNB
- Squawka Football (@Squawka) December 9, 2020
Zidane was delighted with his side's performance and said it was the 'most complete' they'd looked all campaign.
"This was the objective: to finish first," he said per Goal. "We played a spectacular game, from the first minute to the last. We interpreted the game really well.
"I think this was the most complete game of the season. I've been a player and it's impossible to play like this all the time. We try to, but every now and then...
"We don't only perform under pressure; we have played other good games as well.
"It's true this team has that [quality]: when the difficulties are great, it appears.
"I'm happy for the players because they are the most important thing. I'm fighting with them and I'm happy for them. It was a good game."
Monchengladbach also qualified from despite losing, as Inter Milan and Shakhtar Donetsk drew 0-0.
Featured Image Credit: @Nestocomps/Twitter
- Luka Modric's Midfield Masterclass Vs Chelsea At 36-Years Old Was Just Special
- Luka Modric received a standing ovation from Celtic fans, his sublime highlights show why
- Luka Modric silenced his Real Madrid teammates in sensational training clip
- Incredible Footage Of Luka Modric's Wholesome Post-Match Celebration With Real Madrid Staff And Teammates Goes Viral