This is not a drill: Roy Keane has joined Instagram and posted a selfie for his very first image.
The famously dog-loving - but not always fellow-human-loving - football legend chose for his first picture a raincoated Roy alongside his pooch. "A man's best friend," reads the caption.
His page briefly crashed on Friday due to the rapid influx of new followers. Of course @officialkeane16 follows absolutely nobody (so far).
Football fans are in shock, as Keane hasn't always been a big fan of social media. "I'd be in prison now, definitely," he replied when once asked how he'd have coped with 24/7 social coverage during his playing days. "It's a nightmare."
However as a pundit, Keane has found it hard to avoid a strong social media presence - even without any official accounts (until now).
Light the beacons of Gondor :fire: pic.twitter.com/bpg7zv5Hhl
- Pure Roy Keane (@PureRoyKeane) February 12, 2021
Roy Keane following 0 people on Instagram and only posting his dog is exceptionally on brand.
- Adam Crafton (@AdamCrafton_) February 12, 2021
Roy Keane is on Instagram and yes, he follows nobody. pic.twitter.com/dYe9JTMqff
- Dale O'Donnell (@ODonnellDale) February 12, 2021
Roy Keane joining Instagram is more shocking than his foul on Haaland.
- Tom Williams (@tomwfootball) February 12, 2021
Plus there is a certain Micah Richards risking his own health to do the Lord's work of antagonising the Manchester United great by showing him TikTok videos or filming him adjusting his make-up during a Sky Sports broadcast.
Why am I sitting here refreshing Roy Keane's Instagram watching his followers jump
- CHLOE. (@closeph__) February 12, 2021
I cannot accept that Roy Keane has put the number of his jersey on his Instagram profile. pic.twitter.com/eO6ZnSaAfX
- Nathan Murphy (@nathanmurf) February 12, 2021
Roy Keane has created an Instagram account... 2021 is now officially already weirder than 2020 pic.twitter.com/IMp8Y2tkXs
- ODDSbible (@ODDSbible) February 12, 2021
:speaking_head: "Celebrations a bit over the top"
Roy Keane's reaction to Aston Villa celebrating surviving relegation pic.twitter.com/4uf0FRiYhm
- Football Daily (@footballdaily) July 26, 2020
Well, now that Keano is on Insta, perhaps Richards can expect some comebacks: Roy cackling as he follows Micah into the gents or applying the Shrek filter on them both.
Alternatively, perhaps Roy is just going to sit at home playing around with 'Which Disney character am I?' filter on IG stories (you're Scar, Roy) and sharing it with his astonished audience.
A lot of fans asked me to show Roy a funny video from TikTok and I wasn't going to let you all down... I just can't play you the real audio :rage: pic.twitter.com/a4BbKH8UBo
- Micah Richards (@MicahRichards) February 7, 2021
Or maybe it will be more dog walking images in the rain. We cannot wait to find out.
Featured image credit: Instagram/@officialkeane16
- Roy Keane and Graeme Souness involved in heated argument at 11am UK time, the World Cup has begun
- It’s been claimed that Roy Keane changes his personality when away from the cameras
- Roy Keane insists Harry Kane should have worn One Love armband to make ‘great statement’
- Roy Keane takes aim at Newcastle United when talking about Cristiano Ronaldo