To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders
Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications
The 33-year-old was close to a move to Turin in September, and took the exam as part of becoming an Italian citizen to complete the transfer. He was eligible for this as his wife is of Italian origin.
However, the deal did not go through, and Suarez ended up staying in Spain and joining Atletico Madrid.
Prosecutors have since alleged that Juventus 'accelerated' the citizenship process, and cheating on the necessary language test - that was taken at the University for Foreigners in Perugia.
Specifically, prosecutor Raffaele Cantone said, according to the Guardian: "the result and score of the exam had been predetermined in order to correspond to the requests made by Juventus."
Luis Suarez at the double! :fire:- Premier Sports :tv: (@PremierSportsTV) December 19, 2020
Another fantastic cross puts it on a plate and Atletico Madrid are now in complete control :red_circle::white_circle: pic.twitter.com/SwFkZN8w8R
As part of the investigation into this, news agency Ansa reported that magistrates spoke to the striker as a witness this week in a videoconference - he is not currently under investigation.
Now, according to Italian journalist Tancredi Palmeri, Suarez told the authorities that he received the answers ahead of the test.
Luis Suarez has admitted to Italian authorities to have received in advance the answers to pass the test for Italian language- Tancredi Palmeri (@tancredipalmeri) December 19, 2020
We don't know yet.- Tancredi Palmeri (@tancredipalmeri) December 19, 2020
Juventus defence saying they had no interest anymore in signing Suarez.
Authorities questioning then then why they moved their lawyers to organize everything, before allegedly a leak alerted them, and also why they referred false info on contacting minister https://t.co/KKd7WvYqUY
While Suarez didn't complete the move to Juventus in the end, he did leave Barcelona for rivals Atletico Madrid.
The Uruguayan has made a strong start under manager Diego Simeone, with seven goals in nine appearances, and teammate Diego Costa even jokingly complained that he's keeping him out of the team.
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read