Gunners fans were upset after Saturday's 1-0 defeat to Aston Villa, which saw Villa defender Ezri Konsa receive just a yellow card for a last-man challenge on Bukayo Saka. Alexandre Lacazette was also denied a penalty after Emiliano Martinez appeared to pull the striker down by his shirt.
Now Twitter user @VipArsenal has had enough and documented every perceived injustice, naming and shaming the referee and VAR official involved.
Decisions against Arsenal from referees/VAR this season (A THREAD):- AfcVIP⁴⁹ (@VipArsenal) February 6, 2021
28. September. 2020. Mane is allowed to elbow Tierney early in the game. Not even a yellow. The game finishes 3:1 Liverpool. You would think game would've gone differently if it was a red.- AfcVIP⁴⁹ (@VipArsenal) February 6, 2021
Referee: Craig Pawson
VAR: Andre Marriner pic.twitter.com/7caGKGvuZm
17. October 2020. High boot Walker on Gabriel Magalhaes. Penalty not given. Not picked on by VAR. Arsenal lose 1:0.- AfcVIP⁴⁹ (@VipArsenal) February 6, 2021
Referee: Chris Kavanagh
VAR: Stuart Atwell pic.twitter.com/wsdLUy8o6Y
4. October. Berge tackle on Aubameyang. A yellow card was awarded, but it should have been red. Arsenal ends up winning that game 2:1 vs Sheffield.- AfcVIP⁴⁹ (@VipArsenal) February 6, 2021
Referee: Lee Mason
VAR:Andre Marriner pic.twitter.com/ERDpS2nn4s
The thread goes all the way back to September 2020 and Liverpool's Sadio Mane apparently being "allowed" to elbow Kieran Tierney.
Further controversies include a penalty that arguably could have been given against Manchester City's Kyle Walker, an apparent studs to the back of the calf from Manchester United star Bruno Fernandes and a penalty decision that went against Arsenal versus Leeds.
22. November 2020. Apparently, it's ok to block goal bound shots with your hand. Clearly making his body bigger, but no penalty. Leeds- Arsenal finished 0 0.- AfcVIP⁴⁹ (@VipArsenal) February 6, 2021
Referee: Anthony Taylor
VAR: Steward Atwell pic.twitter.com/4odPYci3PY
30. January. No red card for Bruno. Game finishes 0:0.- AfcVIP⁴⁹ (@VipArsenal) February 6, 2021
Referee: Michael Oliver
VAR: Paul Tierney pic.twitter.com/BW0GExZVLh
6.2. 2021. No red card and no penalty. Arsenal lose 1:0 vs Aston Villa. VAR ignoring it because it's Arsenal- AfcVIP⁴⁹ (@VipArsenal) February 6, 2021
Referee: Chris Kavanagh
VAR: David Coote pic.twitter.com/hMvakC2rek
Some of these could well be open to interpretation, although it does seem Arsenal were on the wrong end of a couple of decisions against Villa.
Superb thread. The agenda is real against Arsenal https://t.co/p8BdCpCAoe- Agenda Against Arsenal (@VarArsenal) February 6, 2021
This is a campaign that has been on-going for years but is really coming to the boil this season. Referees and VAR have to be accountable ♂️ https://t.co/qOCDD4gsmm- hamish blair (@hamishblair82) February 6, 2021
Shambles. What's the point in VAR? https://t.co/KAhgvQHQif- Adam Greenacre (@greenacre11) February 7, 2021
Have Arsenal been dealt a bad deal by Premier League officials throughout the season? Or does this thread present a skewed perspective?
Let us know in the comments.
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read