Valentino Lazaro Scores Phenomenal Scorpion Kick, It's A Puskas Award Contender
Valentino Lazaro produced an incredible scorpion kick goal in a thrilling clash between Bayer Leverkusen and Borussia Monchengladbach this evening.
It was a thrilling affair at the BayArena and Leverkusen were cruising towards a 4-2 victory thanks to a Lucas Alario brace as well as strikes from Leon Bailey and Julian Baumgartlinger.
But the away side weren't ready to give up and Lazaro's goal could go down as the best of 2020.
Patrick Herrmann whipped a cross in from the right and side and the Austrian flung his boot into the air while falling forwards, to see the ball fly past Lukas Hradecky.
Valentino Lazaro with a FIFA Puskás Award contender!
Sensational improvisation! pic.twitter.com/mJnHQ1bqNH
- Football on BT Sport (@btsportfootball) November 8, 2020
It was too little too late for Marco Rose's side and they fell to their second defeat of the season.
While Leverkusen came away with all three points, it was former Newcastle United loanee Lazaro that stole the headlines.
Some think it's a better scorpion kick than two of the Premier League's most recent offerings from Olivier Giroud and Henrikh Mkhitaryan respectively.
Far better than Giroud's. And don't get me started on Mkhi's dogshit one. https://t.co/zUsrUtZ9VJ
- CR (@OlesRed) November 8, 2020
Really need to start watching more German football. Golazo's all over the shop!
- James Linehan (@jimbolinehan25) November 8, 2020
valentino scoring world class goals as soon as he's escaped steve bruce's shackles? who'd have thought:sob: to think yer da wanted ritchie ahead of him ahahahaha #nufc https://t.co/MPnXGl80Rx
- max (@nufcmax__) November 8, 2020
Valentino Lazaro: ↓ https://t.co/fdXgZvzHik
- Ross (@rpiper14) November 8, 2020
What a waste of a consolation goal https://t.co/uy7aYBmLJU
- Cock and Ball:microphone2:️ (@CockandBall_Pod) November 8, 2020
Tonight Matthew, I'm going to channel my 'inner Giroud'....... https://t.co/wWlGZ9kVS7
- Ian (@morts3108) November 8, 2020
Anyone tries to discuss VAR, soft penalties or the handball law with you this week, send them this work of art and let them remember why it is they love football in the first place. https://t.co/WFz22SVZLt
- Gavin Brown (@gavbrown_metro) November 8, 2020
Moncengladbach sit seventh in the Bundesliga but have enjoyed a great start to their Champions League campaign.
They're top of Group A ahead of European heavyweights Real Madrid and Inter Milan, while also being the only side yet to taste defeat.
Standout forward Marcus Thuram, son of World Cup winner Lilian, has also received a call-up to the French national team.
Leverkusen, meanwhile, are the only unbeaten team in Germany's top flight and sit in fourth.
Featured Image Credit: BT Sport
- Arsenal have the chance to sign a "world-class" striker on a free transfer, Liverpool are also interested
- Craig Noone Scores OUTRAGEOUS Volley In An A-League Match, It’s An Early Contender For The Puskas Award
- Bundesliga Considering HUGE Change To Its Format To End Bayern Munich's Dominance Of German Football
- Jose Mourinho explained why Xabi Alonso would become a top manager with prediction three years ago