Riyad Mahrez seems to have accidentally confirmed Fernandinho will be leaving Manchester City at the end of the season.
Mahrez was participating in a quiz with City teammate Benjamin Mendy for Sky Sports.
The Algerian was asked which City player announced in the summer they would be leaving upon their contract expiring at the end of this season.
He replies with the correct answer of David Silva, but also mentions the Brazilian midfielder.
:speaking_head:️' Riyad Mahrez saying Fernandinho is leaving in the summer:
- City Chief (@City_Chief) December 24, 2019
The interviewer reiterates the correct answer is David Silva, while Mendy puts his hand to his mouth and begins to smirk.
City fans are now panicking that they'll be losing not one but two club legends in 2020.
Mendy's reaction says everything tbh:sob:
- Zehao Hu (@zehaohu17) December 24, 2019
Nah mate. Take this down, it's Christmas. I can't right now.
- Will Land (@WillLand) December 24, 2019
Mendy was like mate you wasn't suppose to say that. He actually looked shocked that Mahrez would actually say that with his chwest
- Warren :school_satchel: (@wodukoya1) December 24, 2019
Look how they zoomed in on Mendy's face to make it even more obvious. Why did they release this lmao
- Aladdin (@itbealaddin) December 24, 2019
It would be a huge blow for Pep Guardiola's side to lose the 34-year-old.
He signed for City from Ukrainian outfit Shakhtar Donetsk in 2013 for £34 million and he's gone on to become an Etihad legend.
Along with making 270 appearances, he's won three Premier League titles, four Carabao Cups and the FA Cup last season.
This season he's found himself operating in central defence following injuries to Aymeric Laporte and John Stones.
Many City fans knew his time was coming to an end after breaking their transfer record to sign Rodri last summer.
The Spaniard is earmarked to be Fernandinho's replacement in the coming years.
They are big shoes to fill considering the defensive steel he brings to City's attacking brand of football.
If he does end up leaving this summer, he'll be fondly remembered as one of the Premier League's finest midfielders of the 2010's.
Do you think Fernandinho will leave Manchester City at the end of the season?
Sound off in the comments below.
Featured Image Credit: Sky Sports & PA
- Manchester City Star Riyad Mahrez Makes Twitter Plea To Elon Musk
- Fans convinced 'Riyad Mahrez theory' is TRUE after penalty miss against Borussia Dortmund
- Rebekah Vardy Denies Leaking Information About 'Fuming' Leicester Squad After Riyad Mahrez Missed Training
- Man City Player Benjamin Mendy Moved From HMP Altcourse To 'One Of UK's Toughest Prisons' Due To Safety Concerns