To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Not now

Barcelona Handed A Lifeline - Receive Incredible £1.2 Billion Offer To Write Off The Club's Debts

James Aldred


Barcelona Handed A Lifeline - Receive Incredible £1.2 Billion Offer To Write Off The Club's Debts

Barcelona have reportedly received an incredible £1.2 billion offer from a Dubai company to help stabilise the club.

That's according to a report by Spanish TV channel 8TV. They claim, as quoted by The Mirror, that the unnamed organisation have offered to buy the entirety of Barcelona's debt. It also suggests that the conditions of the offer are very kind to Barcelona, as it would allow them complete moratorium for two years, something that could be extended by a further ten.

Image Credit- PA Images
Image Credit- PA Images

The financial difficulties at the Camp Nou are well documented. This summer saw the club lose a number of key players, including Antoine Griezmann, Emerson Royal and a certain Lionel Messi.

Furthermore, several stars, including long-serving legend Gerard Piqué were forced to take wage cuts in order to keep the club afloat.

In August, Barcelona president Joan Laporta admitted the Catalan giants would have to tighten their belts moving forward because of how little money they had to play with.

"(Josep Maria) Bartomeu (Laporta's predecessor) was plugging holes in the short term and mortgaging the club in the long term," Laporta said, as quoted by ESPN. "That leaves us a dramatic inheritance.

Image Credit- PA Images
Image Credit- PA Images

"They spent the €220m from the Neymar deal (his transfer to PSG) disproportionately and at light speed. That is when the salaries shot up. We'll have to change the model and invest in [Barcelona's academy] La Masia, making more proportionate investments with more sporting logic."

Laporta recently rejected a helping hand from La Liga and private equity firm CVC. The pair planned to inject over €2 billion into the division in exchange for 10% of its revenue and 10% in most of its business, with the remaining 90% of their injection going to the clubs.

Image Credit- PA Images
Image Credit- PA Images

However, Barcelona, nor their huge rivals Real Madrid, were keen, with the former expressing their '...surprise at an agreement driven by La Liga in which the team's opinions, including those of FC Barcelona, have not been taken into account.'

On the other hand, this Dubai-based deal appears to be the stirring, sustainable support the club so desperately needs.

Whether Laporta and the powers that be accept it remains to be seen.

Topics: Barcelona, Lionel Messi, Antoine Griezmann, Gerard Pique, Joan Laporta, Real Madrid, La Liga

James Aldred
More like this

Chosen for YouChosen for You


Arsene Wenger claims World Cup teams who avoided 'political demonstrations' performed better than those who did not

an hour ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

4K image proves controversial Japan goal vs Spain was right to stand

2 days ago