| Last updated
Mike Tyson's return to boxing has excited lots of fans but the former 'baddest man on the planet' hadn't originally been training for a comeback.
It's been 15 years since Tyson last boxed but he is set to return later this year in an exhibition fight against fellow former world heavyweight champion Roy Jones Jr.
The 54-year old appeared on Joe Rogan's podcast this week and explained to the UFC commentator that his return is due to a conversation with his wife about losing weight.
"I was discussing with my wife, something about me being overweight, and she said 'why don't you just get on the treadmill for 15 minutes a day,'" Tyson explained on Friday's episode of the Joe Rogan Experience on Spotify.
"And it went from 15 minutes to two hours. I was complaining about my weight and so, I guess I tried on some clothes and it was disastrous, so I was worried about my weight."
Tyson explained that before long there was talking of being paid $30-40 million to return to the fight game, he originally rejected them but it started becoming interesting to him.
"Who would they like me to fight? It's Bob Sapp," the former world champion added, "So I'm saying to myself, I know Bob and I said hold, one minute, how would they like me to fight? Can I fight under Queensberry rules? The guy said yes and I said yes, I'll fight him."
The questions about his fight with Sapp being Queensbury rules came from the fact that his fellow American's history is based in kickboxing and MMA, although he has also wrestled for New Japan Pro Wrestling and might be best known for his role in The Longest Yard.
The 46-year-old is still signed to Japanese MMA promotion Rizin and last fought in September 2018, when he picked up his first win in eight years and 14 fights.
Tyson's last outing in the ring was a loss to Kevin McBride, having lost to Danny Williams in his previous fight, and 15 years later he will be hoping his return is a happier occasion.
He was due to take on Jones Jr earlier this month but the fight has been delayed until later in the year. Instead he'll take on the former super middleweight champion in November.
The fight will take place over eight rounds but there is due to be a title on the line, according to TMZ.
Iron Mike was also linked with a potential third fight with Evander Holyfield, whilst Lennox Lewis also hinted at a return to the ring at one point.
Featured Image Credit: PA
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read