To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders
Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications
| Last updated
Deontay Wilder has been given a six-month suspension from boxing following his devastating knockout defeat to Tyson Fury in Las Vegas on Saturday night.
Wilder suffered a second consecutive loss at the hands of Fury in the WBC world heavyweight trilogy title fight and was knocked down twice before the Gypsy King secured the brutal stoppage in the 11th round.
Battered and bloodied, Wilder ended up being taken to hospital and his coach Malik Scott revealed he suffered a cut lip and broken knuckle in the thrilling bout.
Although Wilder was released from hospital in the early hours of Sunday morning, he is unable to return to the ring until April 8 unless cleared by a doctor following surgery.
The decision has been made by the Nevada State Athletic Commission, who also enforced a standard 45-day suspension on Fury.
There had been some talk that the nature of the loss could send Wilder into retirement - given the Bronze Bomber had said beforehand it was edging closer.
Although he will be resting up for the foreseeable, Scott denies that the Bronze Bomber will call time on his career.
"I really don't want Deontay talking about boxing or doing," Scott said, as per The Mirror.
"Nothing to do with boxing for quite some time, I want him to get some rest after this.
"Even after the last fight he was so worked up he never really got to rest. He deserves a good rest and we'll make sure he gets it. I'm going to head down to Tuscaloosa in a few days to spend some time with him.
"Deontay has set his family financially secure so he doesn't have to fight to make a living.
"But retiring is not in his plans at all and not something we've discussed. He will be back in any form he wants to be; he's a big-time fighter and he doesn't belong down there with the other guys, he needs to be in high-level fights and main events."
Wilder made excuses aplenty for his first career loss to Fury. This time, he admitted the best man won but didn't show sportsmanship by refusing to shake his opponent's hand after the fight.
Reacting to the snub, Fury commented: "It's just a sore loser in boxing, I'm sure he's not the first one and he won't be the last one, but I've acted like a gentleman throughout my career and that's all I can do as a man."
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read