A host of talented athletes from New Zealand continue to leave their mark on the 2020 Paralympic Games.
But it's an age-old Maori tradition steeped in history that seems to have caught some peoples' attention too.
Ahead of New Zealand's wheelchair rugby games in Tokyo, the team has been performing the Haka.
New Zealand's wheelchair rugby team kicked off its first match of the #TokyoParalympics with a traditional haka
Watch the Paralympics on NBC and at https://t.co/8igPgCgIi3 (via @NBCOlympics) pic.twitter.com/BX4zp0Nf69
- NowThis (@nowthisnews) August 25, 2021
The ceremonial challenge is a big part of Maori culture and the Wheel Blacks team decided to give Tokyo a taste of it.
For us fans watching from home, the Haka is always an incredible thing to witness.
But for the players facing it in the flesh, it must be truly terrifying.
Now, for the first time ever at a Paralympic Games, the New Zealand wheelchair rugby team have performed the legendary war cry.
And, rather unsurprisingly, viewers were absolutely loving it too.
To put it simply, there's nothing quite like it.
Unfortunately for the Kiwis, they ended up finishing bottom of Group B with Great Britain going on to clinch gold in the event.
That said, New Zealand's valiant effort and amazing pre-match ritual will live long in the memories of Paralympic fans.
#Paralympics all blacks haka pic.twitter.com/q5Vkg484Dx
- Giacomo Civino (@CivinoGiacomo) August 26, 2021
Wheel-Blacks haka at Paralympics. Expect there'll be a good vid of this up soon. pic.twitter.com/uW1VhY4ghB
- Dr Deborah Jones :chipmunk: (@deborahjonesnz) August 28, 2021
I'll never not watch a Haka! :flag_nz: #Paralympics pic.twitter.com/GELBog2J1z
- Scott Sandalow (@ScottSandalow) August 25, 2021
:flag_nz::muscle: Love this!
New Zealand perform the Haka before their Wheelchair Rugby clash against Britain.
:newspaper: Full Paralympics coverage - https://t.co/LkZdibpV3t
:envelope_with_arrow: ABC Sports Newsletter - https://t.co/Cz6CixH5VK#Paralympics #Tokyo2020 pic.twitter.com/RuBHcIttmk
- ABC SPORT (@abcsport) August 26, 2021
With pride in their hearts.
The New Zealand wheelchair rugby team greeted the USA with the Haka. #TokyoParalympics ' #ShowTheWorld pic.twitter.com/aVWcrs3cOZ
- #TokyoParalympics (@NBCOlympics) August 25, 2021
Did you see the New Zealand Paralympic team do their haka dance in front our US basketball team? So frikin cool.
- Brian Saeger (@SkywalkerBrian) August 27, 2021
There's nothing like the haka
New Zealand's Wheel Blacks performed the Māori tradition before facing the USA in their #Paralympic wheelchair rugby opener pic.twitter.com/4shjhFstIi
- CBC Sports (@cbcsports) August 25, 2021
There's nothing quite like the Haka
The #NZL #WheelchairRugby squad greeted #USA with the Maori tradition ahead of their clash on Day 1#Tokyo2020 #Paralympics @ParalympicsNZ @Tokyo2020 pic.twitter.com/Xc9UylfHxo
- Paralympic Games (@Paralympics) August 25, 2021
The Wheel Black wheelchair rugby team from @ParalympicsNZ starts off the match against Canada with the haka: a traditional Maori challenge pic.twitter.com/XnXIa8S94T
- Canadian Paralympic Committee (@CDNParalympics) August 27, 2021
Featured Image Credit: Twitter/Paralympics
- Hollywood megastar Jason Momoa in awe as he meets the All Blacks in New Zealand
- New Zealand Warriors Sack Coach Nathan Brown
- New Zealand Warriors confirm fan has NOT been banned for constantly doing 'shoeys'
- Tonga and Samoa rugby league stars produce spine-tingling war cries, it's the moment of the tournament