To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders
Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications
Featured Image Credit: PA
Michael Slater has been arrested by police following an alleged domestic violence incident.
It's understood the incident was reported to local authorities on Tuesday and the Aussie cricket legend was subsequently arrested at his home in Manly the following day.
"Officers attached to the Eastern Suburbs Police Area Command commenced an investigation yesterday after receiving reports of a domestic violence incident alleged to have occurred on Tuesday 12 October 2021," New South Wales Police said in a statement.
"Following inquiries, detectives attended a home at Manly about 9.20am and spoke with a 51-year-old man. He has since been arrested and taken to Manly Police Station."
Slater's arrest comes not long after he was axed by Channel 7 as a commentator.
Earlier this year, the broadcasting giants reportedly stood him down from his role shortly after he publicly criticised Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison for banning overseas arrivals from India amid the rising COVID-19 cases.
It's understood Slater was covering the Indian Premier League at the time.
Slater tweeted: "If our Government cared for the safety of Aussies they would allow us to get home. It's a disgrace!
"Blood on your hands PM. How dare you treat us like this. How about you sort out quarantine system.
"I had government permission to work on the IPL but I now have government neglect.
"And for those who think this is a money exercise. Well forget it. This is what I do for a living and I have not made a penny having left early. So please stop the abuse and think of the thousands dying in India each day. It's called empathy. If only our government had some!"
At the time, Channel 7 refused to confirm whether their reasons for not renewing his contract were directly related to his ScoMo tweets.
"Unfortunately business decisions have to be made from time to time and unfortunately we're not in a position to renew it," Channel 7 Head of Sport Lewis Martin said in a statement.
However, reports from News Corp suggested otherwise.