| Last updated
George Kambosos Jr says he's "absolutely devastated" after his world title fight was postponed at the last minute.
The Aussie was just a matter of days away from challenging Teofimo Lopez for the undisputed lightweight title before news broke that the world champion had tested positive for COVID-19.
Triller released a statement in the wake of Lopez's positive test.
"Teofimo Lopez has symptomatic COVID-19, which was confirmed this morning after testing," promoter Ryan Kavanaugh said.
Absolutely devastated. I will be Champion. Thank you to everyone for the support world wide. pic.twitter.com/rpMgcyodT8
- George "Ferocious" Kambosos Jr (@georgekambosos) June 15, 2021
"The entire Triller Fight Club card, including the main event, is being rescheduled for August 14. We send our best to Teofimo Lopez and his family and hope they get better soon. We can't wait to see this epic battle on August 14."
And while the fight has already been rescheduled for August 15 (AEST), it doesn't take away from the Kambosos Jr's disappointment.
"Absolutely devastated! I've been away from my kids for 13 weeks, I flew my pregnant wife over to be by my side, I put every bit of my life into this camp with my team," he said in a social media post.
"I would have been Undisputed Champion this weekend, I know it and you know it. Your actions and decisions have affected not only our fight but everyone involved in this fight! Pure irresponsibility on your whole side.
"Our time will come and I promise you and the world that I'm going to take you out worse than ever for everything. You can run but you can't hide! As hard as it is to comprehend this right now, I remain focused on the end goal. I will be champion of the world. Thank you to everyone for the support world wide."
Kambosos Jr, who boasts a perfect undefeated record of 19-0 inside the ring, had been granted a mandatory challenge through the IBF.
And there wasn't just shiny belts on the line either, there was also a chance to make history by being the first ever Australian to fight for all the belts in one night's work.
With the fight meant to happen this week, it's undoubtedly a huge blow for both men.
But like Kambosos Jr said, "our time will come" and us fans here in Australian cannot wait.
Featured Image Credit: Instagram/@georgekambososjr/@triller
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read